View topic - starter generator/ starter switch

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:11 pm 

have a 25 DB Touring...new wires from starter gen to starter switch ....from starter switch to battery...etc...when press the starter switch..only 10.75 volts to starter gen pole....postive ground on this car...will not turn over but some times does and runs good. today it will not turn over anything...doesnt even seem to try to turn over. if i apply 12 volts from external source to starter gen..will not turn over...today..but tomorrow or later today it might.....help please....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:00 pm 

Sounds like you need someone that knows what they are looking at to service it. I don't understand electric, but it could be simple like brushes. Might be a shorted armature or field. In other words could be cheap or NOT.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:27 pm 

Thanks. Appreciate response

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:30 pm 

milescook, There are several possibilities. You mention applying power direct to the Starter/generator unit has variable results. I would suggest disconnecting the power lead at the starter. (Insolate it for safety), then apply power to that terminal and check for operation. Have a hand crank available and if NO function, reapply power to the unit terminal and give the crank a bit of a turn to see if it comes to life. There could be open segments on the armature. NOT GOOD. If no joy in this test likely will need to remove starter AND the switch for service. I wish you good luck. let us know what you find after this test.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:45 pm 

rodgerhartley wrote:
milescook, There are several possibilities. You mention applying power direct to the Starter/generator unit has variable results. I would suggest disconnecting the power lead at the starter. (Insolate it for safety), then apply power to that terminal and check for operation. Have a hand crank available and if NO function, reapply power to the unit terminal and give the crank a bit of a turn to see if it comes to life. There could be open segments on the armature. NOT GOOD. If no joy in this test likely will need to remove starter AND the switch for service. I wish you good luck. let us know what you find after this test.

Miles, Sorry to be late with this thought. In electricity a complete circuit is necessary. That means GROUND (irrespective to polarity) is as important as Power. Have you checked battery ground to frame (Transmission)? Try applying a ground cable to the right terminal on the starter/generator (close to engine) while applying Power to the outer terminal. Let us know the result.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:45 pm 

I realize this is an aging post so I won’t offer an opinion as to how it can be repaired. Rather, since I have had repeated problems over the past three years, with the starter/generator on my 1923 DB Roadster, I wish you would post your resolution to this problem. Rodger (Dodger) Hartley and I spent several hours building starter/generator cut out relays, and testing them on the device he uses to test his rebuilt starter/generators.
As a consequence of both Roger’s impeccable knowledge of the charging system on these old cars, and his willingness to devote several hours actual labor into finding a possible solution to our problems, I believe my cars charging system is now ready for some long distance driving.
Jack