View topic - Just bought my First DB: 1932 4dr sedan. Many questions!!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 pm 

Buy some Kosher Food Grade Anhydrous Citric Acid.
Put 3 pounds of this powder in 10 gallons of water and fill tank.
A week later there will be absolutely no rust.
I also use to remove rust from parts.
The jack and crank in my 31 DH-6 Business Coupe was rusted so bad you'd might toss it.
It looks new and original. Bead blasting and most other blasting methods look funky.
At the Fall Hershey, there was a guy selling a 54 Corvette 3 Carburetor Intake as NOS.
I could tell that it was bead blasted.
Anyway the Citric Acid does a very nice job of restoring to near original.

More about my 31 coupe. It was garaged for 25 years and never driven. Before that it was bought by a guy who
bought it from a museum. I got it running quite smoothly. I haven't tagged it yet, so I only move it in and out of
garage to get to things. Four days ago I went to start it and would not turn over. I put it on charger for
2 days and tried again. Something fishy. Starter spins if I go under hood and hit the switch (not the bendix).
I took engine crank and could not turn engine. Tonight I pulled starter, and put pry bar in flywheel teeth.
Moves 1/8 inch backward/forward.
Spooky! Last time the engine was running it stopped normal. No noises or clunks.
Seized engines make some noise when they stop.
Something is jammed somewhere.
Pan is coming off tomorrow. Got no idea what happened.

This is my 1st post. Some good advice on rust. And a major engine problem.
Hope to report good news in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:04 pm 

Thanks Doug and Thomas, I will look into your methods and do some testing. I actually took the tank to a radiator shop to be cleaned, they charged me $80, and I can't tell that they did anything other than painting my Concours correct reproduction tank Black!! Apparently a radiator shop will paint everything you take them, black, unless you tell them not to. I just assumed if you take someone a very nice looking unpainted part, they would leave it alone. It seems you can't trust anyone to do a good job these days. I do most everything myself, but aside from my Machine shop and Metal fabricator, the few things I don't want to do, I get over charged and I end up redoing what I paid to get done in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 pm 
IS that a grocery store item? I've never heard of it, but will try it. Have you pulled the plugs yet, maybe help. Hope it works out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 pm 

PhilKennedy wrote:
Here's the mascot you seek: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-An ... 1c28c62447

The critical thing to look for is that the tips of the ram's horns are complete as this one appears to be. The finish isn't great and it would need to be rechromed...adding to the cost. I'd say this one is already overpriced by at least $150. Bargains come along once in a great while, so patience and constant vigil is in order. (I snagged a nice one for $150 about two years ago). If you're looking to have the car as a driver, an option would be to buy one in decent surface condition but with slightly broken horn tips. That's what I've done since it's quite likely that stones kicked up while driving will eventually hit those horns. I keep my best one for shows only.

Where are you located?

Well after spending $300 to piece together the incomplete '33-'34 Ram mascot, I broke down and bought the correct '32 mascot and cap that was on Ebay for $300. I should have started there. The '32 mascot and cap is very different from the '33-'34 cap. For one, the cap is cast into the mascot, not a separate steel or brass piece. For two, the Ram and the base has some very different sculpting to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
IS that a grocery store item? I've never heard of it, but will try it. Have you pulled the plugs yet, maybe help. Hope it works out.

I'm with Doug, I would pull the plugs and try to spin it over.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:04 pm 

I saw this old post and I'm wondering how you are doing with your project? I am also working on a 1932 Dodge DL6.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 pm 

torryjohnson wrote:
I saw this old post and I'm wondering how you are doing with your project? I am also working on a 1932 Dodge DL6.

I only owned it for about a year, then we moved to Alaska and I had too many vehicles. I had to sell it. I miss it, but at the same time, I was scared to get in and out of it, affraid I would harm the original cloth seats, or drag my foot against the original cloth door panels. It was a beautiful conservation project, but not one I felt like I could thoroughly enjoy... that said, who knows what happened to it. It could have been restored, or turned into a street rod by now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:11 pm 

Kyle;
That's a sweet looking original car.
I suggest you make it mechanically dependable first and worry about the missing or proper hood ornament later.
Restoration is an all or nothing rabbit hole. Shiny new parts on your car will look out of place. Preserving the original condition will cost you little and retain whatever value it has now. Lanolin and/or linseed oil work well to preserve bare metal or original paint.
Keep a few scratches in it so the new ones won't be noticed.

Happy motoring.
Nat