View topic - 1925 db sedan timing/ignition issue

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:22 pm 

Greetings all! My wife and I have a 1925 db sedan that my father and I have completely restored, and most recently had the engine completely rebuilt. I need to pick some brains on an issue I am having with our engine. It will start fairly easy, and will basically idle all day long, but when trying to give it a little gas, it just sounds like it is sucking air, and "pops"?? I have checked my timing, and it appears to be set correctly (per the service manual) which brings me to my additional question about timing marks - I have the inspection window in the flywheel cover, and have my timing set to the "second" mark (after c/14), but I'm not sure this is correct since there are "two" marks, and the manual I have is a bit confusing on which mark to use....anyway, any help here is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:26 pm 
I use the timing method described in the Book of Information for my '24. It works perfect, uses the exhaust valve from number 4 cylinder to establish TDC of number 1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:17 pm 

Thanks much for your response. I have since arrived at the conclusion that the problem exists in the carb. If the timing was off, I feel there would be "slight" increase in engine speed before any subsequent backfiring and popping would occur given the mechanical advance prior to making any manual advances in the distributor. My hesitation is immediate. I am thinking that my metering valve may be sticking. I will give the visual valve positioning a look to rule the timing out, but it looks like there may be other factors at work?? Thanks again!