View topic - 1929 DA Starter

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1929 DA Starter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:51 am 

The starter on my 1929 DA does not appear to be original. When I bought this car it didn't run and the previous owner had inherited it from his father but didn't know anything about why it didn't run. It looked like the engine had overheated and shorted a couple of wires. I've installed a new wiring harness and done some other work, but was going to check the starter to find out whether it worked or not.

The starter is a North East and looks to be 6 volt, the type appears to be 6494, but I can't tell the model. I thought I could bench test the starter but putting the positive cable on the starter body and touch the negative to the nut where the cable from the solenoid goes. But it just doesn't look right: there is continuity between the nut and the body of the starter which means if I connect the cables as intended sparks would fly and I'd probably ruin the starter. How can I check to see if the starter is functional?

I've tried to add a picture of it but that function doesn't seem to be working this morning.

Attachments:
1929DA_starter.jpg
1929DA_starter.jpg [ 368.26 KiB | Viewed 9700 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 1929 DA Starter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 pm 

That looks like the starter on my '29 DA. DO you not have a electrical shop you can have it tested by? It sounds like it is shorted internally . Do you have the switch that attaches to it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:14 am 

DougWalters wrote:
That looks like the starter on my '29 DA. DO you not have a electrical shop you can have it tested by? It sounds like it is shorted internally . Do you have the switch that attaches to it?

I haven't found a shop so far that I would trust to test it. As for the switch, there was no switch attached to it, there was only a cylindrical cover I took off (should have put it back on for the picture). The cable for the switch is still there but had been cut. If this is the original starter then someone removed the switch which makes me wonder if it was working at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:20 pm 

The switch mounts directly over the brass nut, makes contact when cable is pulled. Repro switches are available.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:50 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
The switch mounts directly over the brass nut, makes contact when cable is pulled. Repro switches are available.

Thanks Doug. I finally found a guy locally who rebuilds old starters. He says he'll get it back to me in a week. We'll see.