View topic - Stewart carb - help with float chamber

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 pm 

Hello group, a very curious discovery after completing removal/cleaning/rebuild of my carb. Help please?!

I have the classic original Stewart on my '23 Touring. The carb was very dirty, coated with decades of fuel varnish. I proceeded to remove, disassemble and carefully clean; you can't imagine the sludge I found in the fuel screen inlet... the mixing chamber/venturi black with residue - OMG but I digress.
My float chamber was terribly coated with varnish - and now I know why! The chamber cover is only held down by that goofy side-slide cover "spring" with the little knob on it, and it does NOT hold the cover tightly down. In fact, the off-center torque makes for ill-fitting cover, the opposite side tips up. AND, most astonishing ?? is there is a machined groove cut on the top edge of the chamber - so that the cover doesn't seal it. It is not meant to be a tight seal! Is an air vent?

So I guess my first Q, there is no gasket or seal under the cover? I bought gasket kit from Myers, nothing there; I've viewed as many exploded views of the Stewart as I can find, nothing there?
Otherwise, is this off center seal problem well known? Is this little cover spring really expected to hold the cover securely down?
Texas Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:12 pm 

My 18 is just like that I attached 3 small tabs on the convertibles it centered and tweak ed the cover so it needed the spring tab to keep it down and flat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 pm 

I think I follow you -? but "convertibles" you lost me.
I was imaging taking a piece of wire, anchoring it around the base and then up the L side and around the needle valve cap to offset the cover spring.

Anybody else? we all have these right? so does everybody cope with leaky float chamber? I'd hoped that a carb rebuild would reveal/repair my weepy carb, but the design seems to intend a weepy carb!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 pm 

Hmmm I need to correct a detail in my initial post (still seeking feedback tho')
After more careful inspection, its not an off-center torque from the cover spring that has my float chamber cover ill-fitting. The cover is slightly not square. I'm not 100% sure if the needle shaft is slightly off, or if the cover itself is.