View topic - Carburetor rebuild

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carburetor rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm 

A local family donated a 1925 Business coupe to our high school and I along with several students have begun working on it. I have rebuilt many carburetors in my time but none like the Stewart so we are looking for some help and advice. The area we have questions on is the float, the rebuild kit included a needle valve, (which is about 1/2" longer than the old one) with a grooved ring, the ring is not attached to the needle valve like old one. Note: we have not removed the old needle valve yet. Why is the ring on the old needle valve attached to it and the new needle valve it is not?
Why is the new needle valve longer than the original?
Also, according to the carburetor drawings in the manual it appears the needle valve cap is missing, is it needed?

Thanks,
Lonnie

Post subject: Re: Carburetor rebuild
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 am 

Hi Lonnie, what a great project for your school. Take time to be amazed at some of the near century old technology, the vision the ol' Dodge Boys had with this car!
Ok I'm gonna tackle the easiest part of your post. The needle valve cap is removable pretty much for just one purpose. The top of the needle shaft has a slit in it, solely for the purpose of putting a screwdriver blade in it to turn it on the pretense to shift it for better seating. That's it. So yours is missing - only harm is a source of dirt (marginal) IMO. Mebbe you could find a cap nut to fit at your local hdwe store. Or even a plastic cap.
On your needle valve, dunno your source for parts, I recommend asking Tom Myers, Myers Early Dodge www.myersearlydodge.com to be sure you have the right part for the right Stewart carb.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm 

Thanks Jim! I will check a couple of things tomorrow and then contact Tom Meyers in regards to the needle valve.

Lonnie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:46 am 

Another question: We have rebuilt the carburetor and started the engine but it will only run if we fill the float bowl manually. The previous owner had mounted an electric fuel pump before the vacuum chamber so we know the chamber is getting fuel. We pulled the top off of the float bowel, filled it with fuel and started the engine. The fuel will not fill the float bowl until the engine is shut off and then a stream of fuel will come up through the needle valve hole for a second or two then stop. This is where we are stumped, why is the fuel not flowing to the bowl while the engine is running? We did check to see if there was vacuum coming from the line there is some but not very much, is this normal? Any help would be appreciated.