View topic - Oil line check valve question - 1923 Touring

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 pm 

Can someone describe the anatomy of the oil line check valve? Under my cap I have no spring. With oil supply line removed, I cannot pass a wire thru the valve either from the cap down, or bottom supply side up. From top there is a hard stop at 1.5 inches deep. Have used magnet technique, cannot retrieve any ball out of it. I dunno if there is a stuck ball in it. SO: should you be able to pass straight thru the valve if there was no ball in it? Should I gently tap from underside to loosen a stuck ball? It appears the hard stop is below (ahead of) the 90 degree passage into the main oil line.

All this because I just re-assembled from my oil pan & oil pump re-gasket job. I got no oil pressure upon starting. Yes, I primed my oil pump using the R-side line. Before the job I had excellent oil pressure, 1-2 lbs at idle and 4 lbs at RPM.

Lastly, I do understand the oil line to the oil pressure gauge is ahead of the check valve - so a stuck check valve wouldn't result in zero on the gauge. Trying to figure out if oil is pumping or not. All advice welcome. Texas Jim 325-280-0555

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:47 pm 

Adding to my post - from the bottom side of check valve I now can see, mostly feel, there is a ball bearing there, and it is sprung. It does spring up/down in its place. However from the top there appears to be no extraction ability, as the BOI describes. Hmmm, tho'ts here?

So I'd wanted to use the check valve as the place to prime my oil pump per BOI. But with ball in place nope. I primed 1.5 years ago, and this time, simply by disconnecting the line from the check valve and priming directly down the line. But i show no pressure on the gauge, so I cant be sure!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:27 pm 

Use a magnet to remove the ball.

Dave