View topic - engine oil and grease recommendation

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 pm 

What type of engine oil and grease for the grease cups should be used on the 1925 Business Coupe?

Thanks
Hartland High School Auto Shop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:38 am 
Lonnie, you have asked the million dollar question. The grease is easy, any type of grease will do pretty well for the grease cups. I have an extra cap that I drilled and tapped for a grease fitting. That pushes the grease through much easier then just using the cap. When finished I replace the original cap and move to the next one. As to engine oil , it usually starts fights when this is asked. MY opinion is use non detergent oil unless you are rebuilding the engine. These engines are pretty loose with big tolerances and need thick oil to cushion them, especially the rod bearings. Without a oil filter I feel non detergent is better as it lets the crumbs fall to the bottom of the pan so they are not circulated through the pump. Many will tell you non detergents are old fashioned which is true. SO are these cars, but that is MY opinion. As to the transmission use steam cylinder oil. The oil needs to be THICK, like 900 or 1400 weight. If you have a steam RR museum closeby you should be able to get some from them. It is animal based oil. Some say a screwdriver should be able to stand up by itself. I know guys that take a tube of grease and whip it into the oil to thicken it. Modern 90-140 will NOT work, you won't be able to shift very well. I have heard about your project from KIM, seen your video and think it's a great project for your school. I wish you luck and want to hear updates.