View topic - 1915 Dodge carburetor questions

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 am 

The enricher button at the bottom of the carb has a notched head. Should there be a pressure spring against it, so it stays in place and clicks one part-turn at at time? My carb is dripping gas from down here near the bottom and I am going to remove it. Are there any likely problems I should look for? Finally, linkage to the dash switch is just by cable. I am sure this is not authentic. Any pics of what the link should look like much appreciated. Many thanks, Mike in Vancouver

Attachments:
dodgechoke.jpg
dodgechoke.jpg [ 256.6 KiB | Viewed 20103 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:08 pm 
There is a little spring loaded ball in the back that holds the adjustment. There are a few gaskets that may be torn, one where the four screws hold the bottom together. There is also a gasket on the bottom nut, maybe 13/16? or so. Don't remove the enrichener, where the cable is attached or you will lose the only real adjustment there is. You can hurt anything taking it apart. You should probably have the hacksaw choke, enrichener, on your dash, not a cable. Give me a picture of the dash and firewall behind the carb. There should be a slot where the hacksaw looking arm sticks through then a piece of wire that connects to the carb where your cable is. Do you have a Book of Information for your car? There are pictures in there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:12 pm 

Doug, Thanks for info. I removed carb, then click screw, so can easily see the hole where the ball and spring should go. I don’t have either but will inquire locally. I think the leak is coming from where the shaft goes into the bottom of carb, and turning, adjusts the richness. There seems to be a pressure fitting there with only a bit of graphite — no gasket material. I will look in my Book of Info before bugging you about enrichener linkage details.

Also — gasket between carb and block was cork — cracked. I suppose cork is not the right material here? I have other more normal gasket material.

Thanks again, Mike Barnes, Vancouver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:45 am 
If you are saying it leaks around the enrichener shaft, there is a packing in there. May be able to tighten, may have to replace. To get to that you will have to take off the linkage in your photo. Mark it to get it back on the spline the same way. Kim and Tom in the club store have a good reprint on the Stewart carb. It really explains the adjustment of this linkage. And you are not bugging by any means.