View topic - 1928 Dodge Brothers "Fast 4" Coupe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:30 pm 

I've posted here before with questions about my '28 coupe (** NO ENGINE, TRANS, OR DRIVE SHAFT **), but I feel that I'm now at a crossroads and could use some guidance. A number of years ago I picked up what I believe to be a 1928 Fast 4 3-window coupe. About the same time I landed a 1953 Chrysler hemi. Yep, you can see where my head was at the time - I planned on not completely hacking up the coupe, but building a mild driver. I recently built an engine test stand, mounted the hemi, and found that it runs great; I was furnished with no history of the engine when I purchased it, but it sure seems to run well, with no nasty smoking, etc. Last weekend I moved the coupe from "cold storage" into my heated workshop, and am about to begin disassembly. The thing is, I'm feeling twangs of guilt about modifying the coupe with a modern V8 and juice brakes, but, as much as I like cars of the 20's, I have absolutely no interest in redoing one.

So... if someone was interested in purchasing the coupe with intentions of restoring it as a Fast 4, I'd have no issue selling it and moving on to a different project with the hemi. It would, of course, be pointless to sell it to someone else with rodding intentions. At this point, I'd appreciate any feedback: is there much demand out there for a vehicle like this, ball park value, recommended selling method (not eBay), etc.

Note: the trunk area had been cut out; I have a complete replacement rear section with deck lid (from CA) on hand. The interior is original (but shot). There is no engine or transmission.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Dan

http://www548.pair.com/danritz/DB.jpg

Last edited by danritzinger on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:49 pm 
It's a Standard, not a fast four.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
It's a Standard, not a fast four.

Yikes, thanks, I was told that it was a Fast 4. How can I tell the difference?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 pm 
I was looking at the fender tops. BUT you could be right. Serial number for fast four starts with A, and Standard starts with J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:34 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
I was looking at the fender tops. BUT you could be right. Serial number for fast four starts with A, and Standard starts with J.

It has the double motor mount in the front, not the single one of the earlier ones. I can't find any ID plate. Is the serial stamped in the frame by the front spring shackle?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:11 am 
Should be on the title.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:16 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
Should be on the title.

I'm not sure where this number came from, but the title shows a VIN of "1012102".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 pm 

Dan where are at as far as cash price. Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:33 pm 

Mikefitterling wrote:
Dan where are at as far as cash price. Mike

I'm sorry, I really have no idea what the package is worth. I have $5k invested, would consider something north of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 pm 

danritzinger wrote:
DougWalters wrote:

It has the double motor mount in the front, not the single one of the earlier ones. I can't find any ID plate. Is the serial stamped in the frame by the front spring shackle?

I pulled the front sheet metal today, found the VIN (frame number): A1002-130

That makes it a 1928 Fast 4, built Nov/Dec 1927. Its 19" wheels make it a model 128.

Mystery solved! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 pm 

Hello Dan, I'm actually surprising myself with the opinion I'm about to share...
and I hope it doesn't cause me to lose friends in the club! Here goes -
The facts: you got no engine, no trans. The interior is shot. It appears you got no front lights, dunno the rear.
You have what appears to be pretty good sheet metal, and hopefully good frame.
And you have $5K in it, in its present condition, which could actually come darn close to buying an unrestored but complete car.

I say, build your mild rod with it. Put the 331ci in, hang a mopar 8 3/4 on the rear shackles, [if it were mine I'd] spray a clear over the existing patina.

Then, offer your cast off parts for sale - e.g wheels, front axle steering column etc at really stupid low prices, that will ease your conscience a bit, its obvious you respect the potential of a good restoration!

I'm fighting a little remorse giving this advice I'm a purist! But the way I'm seeing it, you'll be getting the ol' girl on the road and respected again, versus in your barn indefinitely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:50 pm 

JimLowery wrote:
Hello Dan, I'm actually surprising myself with the opinion I'm about to share...
and I hope it doesn't cause me to lose friends in the club! Here goes -
The facts: you got no engine, no trans. The interior is shot. It appears you got no front lights, dunno the rear.
You have what appears to be pretty good sheet metal, and hopefully good frame.
And you have $5K in it, in its present condition, which could actually come darn close to buying an unrestored but complete car.

I say, build your mild rod with it. Put the 331ci in, hang a mopar 8 3/4 on the rear shackles, [if it were mine I'd] spray a clear over the existing patina.

Then, offer your cast off parts for sale - e.g wheels, front axle steering column etc at really stupid low prices, that will ease your conscience a bit, its obvious you respect the potential of a good restoration!

I'm fighting a little remorse giving this advice I'm a purist! But the way I'm seeing it, you'll be getting the ol' girl on the road and respected again, versus in your barn indefinitely.

Hi, Jim.

I think you just drew the perfect roadmap for my project. Full fendered (with running boards), no top chop, original patina, Mopar rear, near stock hemi. Still undecided on the clear coat, but thinking that I'll need to do that.

And, yep, definitely plan on getting original unneeded parts to someone who can use them for bargain basement prices.

Thanks for taking the time to post, Jim, I really appreciate your input!