View topic - Tires need mounting on 1923 DB

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 am 

Hello, I live in the St. Louis area. I recently purchased two tires for my 1923DB touring, I am in need of someone to mount these tires 32X4 on my rims. I am at a loss as I can't find anyone who does this.
Thank You,
Jon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:46 pm 

Hello Jon, what you need is to find someone with a rim retractor / spreader.
Are you only looking to hire it done? No modern tire shop will likely own this tool. I had the good fortune of a kind friend who is a Model T guy, he loaned me his tool. Since Fords are more common, I suggest you look for a local Model T club? Or just ask around for a early Ford owner/enthusiast.
The rim retractor / spreader is universal, but has to be large enough for our 24" rim.
They come in varying sizes. Plunk around on google / youtube for a visual. On youtube if you put in "model T rim spreader" you'll get several vids, and its almost as easy as these videos make it seem!

Ok I'm gonna get a little nosy. Are you also replacing tubes and flaps? Just looking to inspire doing the whole job right at the get-go. I also have a 1923 Touring, I did all five, While they were all broken down I rattle can repainted the rims. And I used the baby powder technique (one of those youtube vids) and it worked great - altho' once mounted the baby powder had a stubborn adherence on my brand new tires, I had to scrub them vigorously to get the powder residue clean.
Texas Jim, '23 Touring

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:51 am 

Jim Lowery,
Thank you very much!! I took your advise and found a Model T guy that just happened to be less than 4 miles from me. I am replacing tubes and the inner liners.
I just inherited the car six months ago. when I was a youngster growing up in Pa. the guy across the street ,was restoring the Dodge. I would go over and help him anytime I saw his garage light was on, he was so patient, I learned a lot both about cars and some life lessons along with a life long passion for prewar cars. well I am 60 now and he is 87. Six months ago I got a surprise call from Phil he stated that he has not driven the car in three years and he would like me to have it, I was so thrilled and grateful. I am only replacing the back tires now as the others look good and the two tires, tubes and liners were $800,00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:48 pm 

What a heart warming story! I had similar story several years ago, I was restoring a '52 Chevy 5-window pickup, and I adopted a semi retired old mechanic, or I should say he adopted me, passed along some of his life long wisdom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:04 pm 

JonVivio
I have a 16th edition/1932 copy of Dyke's Automobile encyclopedia which has good tire changing instructions for split rims on page 600. I don't see a way to attach it here but could scan and email it if you'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm 

There is an entire Dyke's manual scanned on the internet. I don't know what edition but most information is cumulative in them. I would not have thought to look there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:00 pm 

It is online here, just look in the menu at the bottom.