View topic - PARTS/WANTED/SEIZED ENGINE

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am 

What a revolting development.
With that in mind you have to wonder how well the rest of the engine was "rebuilt".
I've never had the pan off of mine so don't know what it looks like. I could take the pan off my parts engine and have a look.
If you send me some photos from several different angles I'll let you know how hopeless or promising it looks.
Nat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:21 am 

My two cents on vehicles with "rebuilt engines".

In addition to the two Dodge Brothers vehicles I own ('28 Standard Suburban & '38 dump truck) I'm into antique motorcycles. Teens, twenty's and thirties mostly. More often than not bikes that I bought and was told was told had a "rebuilt engine", I had to completely rebuild again. Unless the seller has a paper trail and or detailed pictures of the rebuild I approach with a buyer beware attitude. There are many out there that have the motto "Don't let the truth get in the way of a sale".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 am 

Attachment:
IMG_3424.JPG
IMG_3424.JPG [ 94.46 KiB | Viewed 7900 times ]
Miles-

Don't give up on your broken block. It might be able to be repaired with a powder torch. I had the exhaust spigot and a broken fin repaired on my 1912 Pope head. It is cast iron. A powder torch is like a welding torch with a reservoir of cast iron dust. The cast iron comes out and fills in the area that is missing or broken. I've tried to attach a picture of the head. If it worked you can see the whole left half of the exhaust spigot was missing. And the fin on the front right was also missing. It came out great. And after a few heat cycles you won't be able to tell it was repaired. Metal stitching is also an option. I had a Pierce Arrow at one time with a cracked head. I had Frank Casey in Massachusetts repair the 8" long crack with metal stitches. A great repair and the car is still running around today with no problems.

Darryl.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 am 

Amazing...