View topic - 1920 Touring - Cleaning Transmission gears

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 pm 

I have a 1920 Touring and going to drain out transmission oil and replace. What is best way to clean gears and inside with out removing and disassembling. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:05 pm 

If the car runs; drain the transmission. Jack one side up, chock the wheels and run/flush with mineral spirits or diesel. Allow to drain well, then refill the gear lube or repeat the flush as needed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:04 am 

Mark-

After reading your post I asked a good friend of mine that owns a transmission shop about your question. And he is into antique vehicles btw. First he asked why do you want to clean them. If they look okay just change the oil. But if you want to clean them without taking the transmission apart he suggested putting detergent engine oil in it and drive it a very short distance. Maybe a mile or two. Drain and repeat one more time. Then put heavy transmission oil in. He said the detergent oil will clean things up.

Darryl.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:52 pm 

Thx. Gears look good. Just wanting to clean out all the old oil and any grit and put new oil in before I get it started and driving it. The engine oil was mostly sludge so decided to change out all oils.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:28 am 

Detergent oil does not clean, it holds the crud in suspension till the oil goes though the oil filter or is drained out. It is not going to break down any curd sitting in the bottom of the case or on the walls. To get the case and inside clean you need a solvent, detergent oil is NOT a solvent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:17 am 

Mark-

When I restored a '29 Pierce Arrow I took the top plate off the transmission and took a look at the gears. They looked great. And that car had some miles on it. I buttoned it back up and just changed the oil. 5,000 miles later it is still running fine. You said your gears look good? If it were mine (which it is not) I would just change the oil and drive it.

Darryl.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:41 pm 

Mark;
I've never heard or thought of cleaning transmission gears before. Click & Clack probably could have had some fun with that notion. Are you a dental hygienist?
There may well be some crud in the transmission that isn't good for bearings or gears but has settled and is staying out of circulation. While cleaning the things you can get at, (not much), you may loosen gunk that would have stayed safely out of the way had you left it alone.
I was taught to clean things completely or leave them be. "If it ain't broke, (or breaking), don't fix it" may also be sound advice.
Luckily you can probably follow any of the posted suggestions/advice or none at all without any problems. I think it would take a determined effort to ruin your transmission.
Good luck and have fun.
Nat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:22 pm 

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. Will just change out the oil and drive it (once I get it started).