View topic - 1929 Dodge Wiring Question

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:36 pm 

I have a 1929 DB Sedan that had wiring issues when I bought it. I will have to re-wire everything under the hood. Removed the light switch on the bottom of the steering wheel and the horn button assembly. Now I'm putting them back together. Since the horn wire coming out of the bottom of the steering wheel was not connected when I got the car, and the wiring diagram is not very clear on where this wire gets connected, I was wondering if anyone out there can give me an idea of what it's supposed to connect to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:12 pm 

There should be a wire coming from the horn and attached to one of the terminals . The horn wire from column attaches on with it . That wire makes the ground of the circuit to activate horn . Before hooking up you should meter ,as most are shorted to ground and horn will be on all the time or randomly .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm 

TomShultz wrote:
There should be a wire coming from the horn and attached to one of the terminals . The horn wire from column attaches on with it . That wire makes the ground of the circuit to activate horn . Before hooking up you should meter ,as most are shorted to ground and horn will be on all the time or randomly .

Thanks for getting back to me. The wiring diagram shows 3 wires coming off the horn: 1 to the ammeter, 1 to position 1 on the light switch, and 1 to position 2 on the light switch. I'm guessing the wire from the column would go to position 2 on the switch.

My horn only has two wires so it sounds like those two go to the ammeter and position 1 on the light switch and I'd run a third wire from position 2 to a ground.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 pm 

Not seeing your wire diagram I am flying blind . But my #1 has three wires ,one from ampmeter ; then one to horn and one to brake switch .
The horn returns to #2 / in position three ( numbers are not in order on the Clum switches ) . That is where horn wire taps on going up the column to be grounded out , at steering wheel .
Position two /terminal #3 has two wire coming off one to each headlight .