View topic - Clum 8821 Light Switch

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clum 8821 Light Switch
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:24 pm 

I removed my Clum 8821 light switch from the steering column of my 1929 Dodge DA to clean it up. When I re-attached it and began to tighten the nut, put too much pressure on the wrench and felt something give. Now the nut turns 360 deg. I removed the switch and took it apart thinking something inside must have broken. Nothing looks broken, but I expected to find a washer with tabs to engage the brass "bolt" to the moveable portion of the switch or some other method to engage the bolt to the switch. Now I can't see a way to make this work again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried to include a picture, but the upload didn't happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:07 pm 

The gland nut on the bottom is what tightens to the rod giving your switch inside movement . The outer case floats on the rod but is limited in it travel by the notch or fork arm coming off to engage steering box mount arm just below throttle tube assembly .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:03 am 

Thanks for getting back to me. What happens if you tighten the gland nut to tight, which is what I did? The brass fitting that the nut is squeezing to the rod must engage the moveable portion of the switch which is contained inside the outer case. There are notches on the top of the brass fitting and notches on the moveable portion. I thought there would be something, like a tabbed washer, to fit into those notches so that when the tube/brass fitting rotated, so would the moveable portion of the switch and the contacts would move to the appropriate position to turn on the lights. I've not been able to find a drawing or picture of the pieces inside of the outer case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:48 pm 

Here is a pic of inside . I thought you had yours apart . Be careful doing .

Attachments:
clum sw.jpg
clum sw.jpg [ 396.51 KiB | Viewed 15849 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:47 am 

I do have mine apart and it looks very much like your picture, with one notable exception: yours shows the brass fitting still attached to the moveable contacts and as one piece, where mine has the brass fitting apart from the moveable contacts. That's where the problem is. Those two pieces must move as one and mine don't.

I attached a picture of mine, hope it loaded correctly.

Attachments:
lightswitch.jpg
lightswitch.jpg [ 123.64 KiB | Viewed 15838 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:04 pm 

I see . I do not know how was attached . But you need to repair it . Or may try asking if anyone has that piece . The Clum where not just used on Dodges . Many of cars used so do not limit your search .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:37 pm 

I think I know what happened. When I looked at the head of the brass piece, I noticed what might be worn down nubs on either side that, when new, would have engaged the slots on the moveable contact piece. Will have to get creative if I want to repair this.

I've been searching for anything regarding this model of Clum switch, but haven't really found anything useful yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:20 pm 
Check out the AACA Forum. There has been plenty of discussion about Clum switches. Just do search for “clum switch “.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:38 pm 

Thanks!