View topic - 1927 Fast 4 Ignition Switch

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm 

My wife and I just bought a '27 Fast Four. The car is complete and original with the exception of a couple of things like the ignition switch. I have recently learned by looking underneath the dash, that the keyed part of the switch is part of the ignition coil. The coil is intact, but the tumbler assembly is missing. It is not a large switch for the headlight, only the coil. The previous owner had a small strip of tin that he used to turn the coil to the on position. From the size of the hole, it actually looks like it would be a generic switch. I am pretty sure the coil works, The son of the original owner used to drive the car around the block a couple of times a year up until about 2006.

I think finding a coil would be difficult but I am hoping that there is a solution for the missing tumbler/switch assembly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:11 pm 

I think you will find the lock assembly was pot metal which self destructs. The head light switch is a small box mounted on the steering column.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:41 am 

Thanks for the reply. I saw the headlight switch is mounted on the column and it works. Which I am glad for. I see the pot metal issue with a lot of parts on this car, I'm sure it's just the technology of the time.

My thought on the ignition switch is that if I cannot find one that links to the coil, I could remote mount a modern coil with a basic keyed on/off switch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm 

I had a related problem on my car - the switch was good but the coil went bad. I remote mounted a 6V coil from a Ford tractor and a separate ignition switch (I probably could have wired in the existing switch) and it works perfectly. In fact I learned that the old coil likely was weak as #4 plug used to foul after running for 20 minutes or so and that issue was cured with the new coil. I couldn't find a replacement coil. I believe Romar had one a couple of years ago but they weren't sure if it was any good so I went with the remote coil. Did you remove the coil/switch assembly? I couldn't see how it came of the dash.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:37 pm 

I haven't taken it out yet. I am at the beginning of getting my car to run. The previous owner has a small piece of tin that will turn the coil on. Motor cranks, but I did not check for spark. I would like to see the car run before I start to change things so I know what I have. But I am definitely changing to a remote coil eventually.