View topic - grounding of the fuel gauge on 1935 truck

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:33 am 

I'm attempting to get the fuel gauge on my 1935 truck working. When I purchased the truck, the gauge only read empty.

I disconnected the sending unit wire and measured the resistance from the tank unit fuel gauge for different fuel levels (150 ohms for ~2.3 gallons, 140 ohms for ~7.3 gallons, and 132.6 ohms for ~12.2 gallons). When I connected the fuel gauge cable to the tank unit fuel gauge, I get the same resistance reading at the panel end of the cable. I measured 40 ohms between the two posts of the panel unit fuel gauge. And I measured 6 V from the ignition switch to the panel unit fuel gauge. When I hook the fuel gauge cable to the panel unit fuel gauge, the gauge reads empty, except for a brief time while driving yesterday when it read full. This leads me to believe I need a better ground. I have read online that the panel unit is grounded when it is installed in the panel and that the fuel tank is grounded. Is there a separate grounding wire that should have been installed somewhere,

thank you,
-- Brian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm 

I don't know anything about 1935 dodge trucks.
If the ground is questionable, (yes), run a designated ground from the battery to the sending unit. If the sending unit is out of the tank you could see how the gauge and/or an ohm meter responds when the float is moved by hand.
Good luck. Send a report.
Nat