View topic - 20" Demountable rim needed for 24 DB Touring Car

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 pm 

I have fought long and hard trying to split the rim on the spare tire of my 24 DB Touring car. the lip is bent and will not separate correctly. Someone had previously spot-welded the joint together so I removed the welds but it will not slip by itself to demount the tire. I have used a rim spreader, a jack, and a hydraulic press, and pry bars but it will NOT open enough to slide past itself... so I give up! Does anyone have a 20" demountable rim in good condition they are willing to sell? Desperate in AZ!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:06 pm 

Is the tire bead broken free of the rim on both sides and the tire is squished down to the middle of the rim?
20" rim? What size are the tires?
Nat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:16 pm 

Yes... I was able to FINALLY get one side of the rim to release (slide past itself) to get the bead off the back side of the rim. Then with great effort, I got the front bead to release using lots of dish soap. After that, I cranked the rim spreader and finally, the front mating edge released.... with a bang....but those two surfaces where they meet are not square with each other which is why it wouldn't release. I am going to take it to the local metal shop and see if they can cut that joint square to each other (and fix the bend in the lip of the bead on the rim at that joint). I suspect this rim has been a problem before me as it was tack welded at the alignment keyway. If I could find a proper spare I would just junk this one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:43 pm 

Most of mine were funky. I had to build the tabs and slots with weld and file them back into shape.
The spare that came with my 24' didn't have any air in it but was so petrified that it hld the weight of the car....For part of a revolution. Then the rubber flaked off leaving only a ball of string. It was easy to dismount after that.
Mine has 24" rims for 32 X 4 tires. What are you using?

Attachments:
dboriginalspare.jpg.ca51ff74c49e5114a20a36f651dafb83.jpg
dboriginalspare.jpg.ca51ff74c49e5114a20a36f651dafb83.jpg [ 258.06 KiB | Viewed 24933 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:15 pm 

I am using Goodrich Silverton 6.00-20 Super 6 Ply tires. The tire is like new albeit was well stuck to the rim. It had a bulge that turned out to be the heavy rim liner pinched into the bead for about 10", Now that it's off the rim I will address the rim issues and remount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:41 pm 

Some of the flaps that were on my car when I got it were creased from improper mounting and the creases were there to stay. I saved the tubes and flaps that could still be used but put new tubes and flaps in all five tires.
I watched several bo o ogus "how to" youtubes before I found good instructions in Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia. I won't bore you with those details unless you ask.
Nat
https://www.universaltire.com/20-x-5-flap.html
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/17-28-Flap-63.htm