View topic - Reality check:1924 touring car.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:43 pm 

I drove my 24' home last weekend and put about 150 miles on it. Hot or cold it starts right up and never misses a beat. 25-30 MPH is pleasant, 35mph is okay and above that there's something between a buzz and a vibration. Is that the nature of the beast or is that indicative of catastrophic failure?
It feels like engine or drive train vibration. The suspension and steering pins/bushings are all fresh and tight.

Attachments:
04 23 22 a.jpg
04 23 22 a.jpg [ 6.16 MiB | Viewed 24998 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:25 pm 

That's exactly what i was thinking.
Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 am 

At 35 his tongue is hanging out. Don't push it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:18 am 

The rear engine support was a little loose in the frame. After tightening that and refreshing the carburetor it's much improved and felt fine at 50MPH, (yikes), on a smooth road. The brakes, wheels, engine and 98 years of age are reasons I don't plan to do that often, if ever.
The instruction book calls 2000 RPM, (45 MPH), "maximum power". 50 MPH would be about 2225 RPM. I thought I had seen 2800 RPM as maximum speed. I don't know where I saw that and can't find that now. Does anyone know what the max. RPM is?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:25 pm 

Most probably, a maximum RPM range for an engine manufactured 99 years ago has probably changed a tad over the past nine decades. Since my Roadster is a 1923, and differs a bit from the specs on your 1924 touring, you may have a tachometer on yours while mine doesn’t. So, in the absence of my digital or analog device to indicate when nearing, or exceeding, maximum RPM, I suggest you employ an audio warning device. Continue to accelerate the engine to a point it appears to begin self destruction. Mentally label this anguished sound as an audible marker, amber in color, and labeled “Do not exceed this limit”. But, since we are determining the “limit” we are not to exceed, continue accelerating the engine. Note again the point the engine begins knocking loudly, vibrating uncontrollably, smoking terribly, and blowing steaming hot vapor from the radiator. Then mentally label this audible marker as P.O.N.R……or point of no return, and color it red. But, we are interested in the MAXIMUM RPM, and since the engine is still running, we, apparently, haven’t reached it yet. So, give the accelerator one more push and listen closely as the engine sucks it’s pistons and spits them out the exhaust as a stream of scrap metal. Further evidence should be heard as the cylinder head cracks and boiling water floods the red hot exhaust manifolds. Fulfillment of our goal can be enjoyed as the crankshaft, now un encumbered by the connecting rods, pistons and resultant loss of all compression slowly winds down to a stop. Hopefully there isn’t a lot of driving planned for the next few days since the engine has now verified that it will give a clear, unmistakable, and impossible to ignore audible indication it is about to exceed its maximum RPM. A saving grace is the fact we neither need to label or color this indicator because everything is no soaked in black oil, and if it is ever seen again…….well…….walking isn’t bad either.