View topic - knocking noise

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: knocking noise
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm 

Hello everyone,
I had my 29 DA Sedan out driving last Saturday, it started knocking. It sounded like a rod knocking or maybe something in the trans/bell housing. I pulled over immediately I opened the hood, it didn't sound like it was coming from the engine.
It only does it under a load at a certain rpm range. any lower or higher and it stops knocking. I brought it home and checked it over again good oil pressure. Please help, I don't want to damage my car. Thank You.

Post subject: Re: knocking noise
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:10 am 

You should drop oil pan and look over bearings . See if any babbitt in pan . Find problem before making worst .
Had same problem with my '31 two weeks ago . Whole lower rod bearing disintegrated .Lucky i stopped and trailer-ed before damaging worst . I noticed good oil pressure that never fell to it's usual lower level . may have spun after de laming and blocked oil hole . Still working on , walked away for week . Good luck

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:42 pm 

Thank you Mr Tom Shultz, I pulled the oil pan. Just like you said, I found the babbitt on #4 cylinder failing. Do you know if I can pull that rod out from the bottom an have someone pour a new babbitt, or rebuild the whole engine? Any ideas who would rebuild it for me? Thank You.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:56 pm 

I am in middle of my repair now . Mine is PA engine 196ci 4 cyl . not sure what engine yours has . Pic would help . I was able to remove the rod from bottom . Have not send out to re-pour yet . Looking for replacement #311047 . Was lucky no damage to crank rod looks ok except babbitt all gone .

Attachments:
20220428_131631.jpg
20220428_131631.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 22421 times ]