View topic - 1930 Dodge Starter Part 2

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:15 pm 

I finally got my starter rebuilt but have discovered that the gear on the starter spins clockwise, which in turn would spin the flywheel counter clockwise. This doesn't make sense to me. The starter is a Northeast type 6494, but can't tell what the model is. At some point during the cars live, the original lever and cable assembly was removed and a starter solenoid was bolted to the firewall. I don't see how this setup ever worked. It's clear that at some point, the gear end of the starter was broken off and re-welded. I'm thinking that whoever fixed it at that time put in an incorrect spindle which makes it turn clockwise. Can anyone enlighten me about the direction the starter gear is supposed to spin? Attached is a picture of the starter before it was most recently rebuilt.

Attachments:
1929DA_starter.jpg
1929DA_starter.jpg [ 368.26 KiB | Viewed 7486 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:46 am 

Regarding your 1930 starter, according to N/E Instruction book #10306 (Feb '29)
The correct starter would be Model 6494 Type SBH S/N 829 and the direction of rotation looking into the drive end would be Counter Clockwise. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:06 am 

Regarding your 1930 Starter I am In ERROR most grievously. The picture on that N/E parts book was LOOKING INTO THE Brushes and commutator end which would translate to a CLOCKWISE looking into the drive end and would be correct to turn the flywheel correctly! Sorry for the mixup and hope this makes sense and HELPS!