View topic - 1925 DB engine removal

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1925 DB engine removal
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:28 pm 

Is it possible to remove the engine without removing the tranny and moving the driveshaft backward after moving the back wheels backwards...it is such a time consuming ordeal...but i am trying to think of a way to remove engine after taking out radiator...if this is a bad idea i would like someone with experience to advise me....thanking you in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:57 pm 

I am hoping you have resolved this issue and just haven’t had time to post the outcome. I have removed the transmission on my 1923 DB Roadster, and, of course, went through the required actions of disconnecting and moving the differential back. And, while I have loosed the engine and a raised it out f it’s mounts to facilitate working on the engine, I have never removed it alone. But, I can see a problem in that the front engine mount is actually a tube passed through the front crossmember, and loosening the two rear motor mounts will leave the transmission unsupported, It appears that the transmission will need to be supported with jack stands or other suitable support or the drive shaft will be seriously damaged if it is allowed to hang unsupported or fall. And, removal of the transmission, or at least moving it rearward will permit the removal of the clutch disks and flywheel, and this alone will reduce the weight of the engine by at least 70 pounds. Again this may be too late, or even a bit wrong, and for that reason, I ask that you post the outcome of your engine removal efforts to answer questions others may have about doing it.

Attachments:
45B55D1A-FC0D-45C5-A847-D7ACF879B315.jpeg
45B55D1A-FC0D-45C5-A847-D7ACF879B315.jpeg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 18384 times ]