View topic - Correct exhaust question 1923 Touring

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:49 pm 

I plan to replace the exhaust on my 1923 Touring. What is on it now is non-stock, the pipe on my car has no flange or nut and is just stuck into the manifold, terrible exhaust leak.
My question relates to where the tail pipe should extend and end. Presently my exhaust tail pipe extends up and over the rear axle like you would expect, and it ends underneath the gas tank.

I found a view of the original exhaust line in the Book O' Info, on the fold-out lube chart (p.28). It shows the tail pipe ending well forward of the rear axle. This seems confirmed by the catalogue photo in Myers Early Dodge, the '1915 to 1923' tail pipe shown is pretty short, and has no bend to go over the rear axle.

My conventional wisdom sez this is not optimal, to have the exhaust not carry past the rear axle. Stranger, Myers' catalogue for '1924 to end of series' shows a much different tail pipe with a bend over the rear axle.

I'm asking 2 things: 1) is the above description truly stock? Check out the picture
on p.28. Anybody's car match to this? 2) Opinions to extend the exhaust further like I described, agree or disagree that seems like the best practice?

PS Gotta mention that the tail pipe hanger on my car sure looks correct and possibly original? - it is attached to the aft frame cross member and is nearly inaccessible with the gas tank crowding getting to it. It attaches to the pipe at its over-the-axle bend.

Thanks, Texas Jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:29 pm 

I agree with you on two statements. It shows the exhaust ending before the rear end. And it should not end before the rear end. I would take it at least past the rear end and way before the gas tank. The original pipe diameter after the muffler is very small, maybe 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 . I guess they were using it to cut noise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:19 pm 

Thanks Doug. Both of Myers' tail pipes show to be 1 1/2" I thought that to be appropriate. I'll call Myers and ask them about the 1924 pipe and why not get it, since it has the bend over the rear axle. Can't be any different otherwise...
And thanks for the conventional wisdom too, not cool to have the exhaust dump under the car body! The fact that the chart drawing is so intentional and it seems to match to the Myers part, that's a head scratcher who'd really want that?!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:00 pm 

Jim & Doug, After an exhaustive tour through several Master parts books the conclusion is to NOT attempt to apply conventional logic to possibly illogical facts. No, I was not present back when these cars were being designed but it would appear that someone over time made changes to your exhaust system using more modern (what was available) parts.
In the sequence of muffler and tail pipe changes, the muffler was affixed to the lower flange of the frame with 2 circular straps. Those straps P/N changed several times, presumably due to changes in diameter of the muffler.
Next the tail pipe and affixing methods changed several times as well. The initial design from the beginning, up to June 9 '23, was shorter and dipped down under the rear axle. That pipe fastener changed from a cast unit initially to a stamped steel around the pipe with a bent flange where it fastened to the same frame lip as the muffler was fastened to but further back just before the bend down. Later the tail pipe was lengthened and bent up over the rear axle to continue back under (Nearly past) the gas tank. That change was implemented at S/N A631723 (May '26). That pipe was fastened via a stamped steel bracket that wrapped around the pipe and bolted to the forward flange of the rear frame cross member above the tank. That bracket had a spread 'V' flange above and fastened via. two bolts. I believe that described 'longer' pipe continued up to '27 and possibly including the Std.6 in '28.
All the same, Huh?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:17 pm 

Rodger thanks very much for the research sir! My '23 serial number indicates my car was built in July 1922. I'm pretty sure - just visual evidence - the exhaust components I removed from my car were not original. But their mounting points definitely appear to be original. So I've finished the replacement: from Myers, new exhaust pipe nut (mine did not have one), new exhaust pipe and muffler. I elected to buy the 1924 tail pipe (over the axle) but I had to cut it off on both ends for a satisfactory end point, which is approx directly underneath the gas tank.
BTW the threads on my exhaust manifold were pretty beaten up. I used a thread file to restore them, succeeded, got the new nut to thread on.
Also - I used a diluted muriatic acid bath to de-rust my manifold. Then, painted it with hi temp manifold paint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:04 pm 

Did you also get the packing that goes between the exhaust pipe nut and manifold?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:37 pm 

Hi Mark - Yes I did. Actually it was quite unsatisfactory. Too bulky for the assembly. I can just hear some of you cringing ... With the flat ceramic rope in place, it plus the flanged pipe allowed zero space for the nut to thread to the manifold. It wasn't meant to be cut, but I cut it anyway, not cross cut but along its length, to reduce the bulk. Cutting it nearly ruined it. I managed to pack it in place. Even with the reduction I did not manage to thread the nut very deeply. Its not going anywhere, and as long as the rope is truly ceramic grade I'm hoping it functions as intended. Since I did the job I've not gone for a serious full op temp drive. But I've improved over what I had before significantly, hoping for a good result. PS my car is 100 years old this year! Super excited, quite a milestone for my amateur collecting. Texas Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:27 pm 

I got the same type packing from Restoration Supply Co., along with the copper crush rings for the manifold. It seemed to do the job and allowed the pack nut to snug up.
https://restorationstuff.com/
They sell it by the foot. Sorry I don't recall what size it was, would have to find my invoice.