View topic - 1922 Dodge Bros. Depot Hack with Petrified Tires

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:10 pm 

I have a 1922 Depot Hack with old, very hard, flat tires.
I am unable to get the tires off of the rims. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:34 pm 

I assume they are void of air pressure. Roll the car with them on and they will soften up like this.

Attachments:
db original spare.jpg
db original spare.jpg [ 270.23 KiB | Viewed 27360 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:20 am 

Hi Ken,
welcome to the Dodge Brothers Club btw,...

I know some will laugh or gasp at this, but I've often wondered if a sawzaw would help removing rotted old dry tires. I've never had to deal with it (thank God) but just something I've always been curious about.

Obviously you'll need to be extra careful not to damage any of the rim components. Maybe secure it in a large shop vise with plenty of padding around the rim where it clamps (a old pillow maybe) then test little bits at a time very slowly....
My Milwaukee Sawzaw is variable speed and I'd definitely recommend a slow or variable speed to sample a spot before you get to gungho on it. Make sure you use the "AXE" blade from Milwaukee will cut through anything (even your rim if your not careful).

Let us know how it works out for you. Surprisingly, not much on the web about this topic....

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:43 pm 

The image I attached was the spare mounted on the rear of my car when I took possession of it. It didn't have a particle of pressure in it but was so petrified that it supported the rear of my touring car until I moved it.
In one revolution the rubber flaked off leaving nothing but a ball of string.
I don't remember if I dismounted it or cut the strings with scissors but no power tools were required.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:00 pm 

Ken do you have access to a vintage old rim spreader tool? It is the correct technique for tire removal/installation regardless of tire condition. I was loaned a rim spreader when I did my wheel/tire work, was fantastic and helped make the project fun. Darn, I had to return it to the kind friend who loaned it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:18 am 

JimLowery wrote:
Ken do you have access to a vintage old rim spreader tool? It is the correct technique for tire removal/installation regardless of tire condition. I was loaned a rim spreader when I did my wheel/tire work, was fantastic and helped make the project fun. Darn, I had to return it to the kind friend who loaned it!

Sorry, Ken (and Jim)

I should have first mentioned what Jim said here in his post. I just assumed you already tried a rim contraction tool and couldn't get it. Definitely try Jims method FIRST with the rim spreader tool then ONLY revert to other means if necessary.

Here's what they look like if you've never used one. They are readily available on eBay if needed.

Attachments:
Rim Spreader.jpg
Rim Spreader.jpg [ 14.96 KiB | Viewed 27303 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:14 pm 

Totally unrelated to petrified tire, by fully applicable to antique car tires.
I needed, and was most gratefully provided one by a fellow DB Club member, a decent spare tire for the 1923 DB Roadster I am playing with.
The member sent me a tire in surprisingly good condition, and I was told by the local tire shop that installing the tire on a split rim was no problem.
So, loading the tire and wheel in my KIA, I made my way to the tire shop.
I was greeted in the parking lot by a 20ish man who wrestled the tire and wheel from my hatch, and when he paused between removing the tire from my car, and rolling it into the shop, I asked if he was sure he could mount the tire.
The young man replied that he had never done one before, but he was sure he could do it.
As he rolled the tire toward the shop I asked him if he knew what “an antique car purist was” and he replied that he “guessed it was a person who demanded that only parts, like those originally used on a old car, be used to replace another part”.
I told him that “I was a purist, the wheel was from a 1923 model car, and I would expect that only air of a 1923 vintage be used in it”.
This tongue in cheek remark was realized to be in poor taste when the young man stopped in his tracks, retrieved his smart phone from his breast pocket, and began to speak to someone I supposed to be his supervisor.
He had already asked whomever answered his call “where they kept the antique air, and continued that he had a guy needing some from 1923”.
How bad the comment really was for the poor kid became apparent when the 280 pound, apparently his supervisor, stormed from the office, across the parking lot, and began to box the young guys ears.
Since this is a family forum I will skip the explicit names the elder guy called the younger guy, but there was no doubt left that they did not include vintage air in their supply system.
The young man did manage to put the tire on the rim, offered an adamant apology for his ignorance regarding the age of the air, and told me there was no charge for the tire mounting.
I gave him a $20.00 tip and went into the office to pay for the work on the tire. The cost of that labor was $17.50, and I told the supervisor how very fortunate he was to have an employee so tuned in to the customers needs.
I would post a photo of the mounted spare on the forum but I’m fairly certain that most AACA members is familiar with a spare tire on a 1923 Dodge Roadster.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:17 am 

Thanks for the laugh, Jack...
:D

Sounds like a very good kid (willing to learn and humble), but the supervisor seems like he'd be better suited for relining the inside of fuel farm tanks or finding the way out of a 20 mil plastic wrap.