View topic - 1915 touring car black paint source

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:18 pm 

I have a 1915 touring car and plan to repaint it (after only 60 years). It is of course black. I have pulled up a comprehensive Dodge Brothers paint chart on the web. However, for 1915 (through 1923) it only indicates "black". Unlike some other colors the chart does not give modern equivalents. There are many shades and varieties of "black". How does one determine the proper black for a 1915? I understand that black auto paint at that time was not as glossy as today, nor did it contain the pigments that are in modern paint. Is there a source to purchase proper paint for these older vehicles? Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 am 
I see you are not getting any answers. I personally don't like base clear on old cars it looks fake. I have urethane put on my stuff because it looks like old paint, and can be sanded and buffed. Keep in mind you can tint primer to colors so when you finally get a chip there will be black primer underneath. As to specific shades or topcoat , yes there are. Not all black is black. I would go to your local jobber that mixes paint and talk to them. Some shades have other pigments and look milky, or blueish. The original paint was straight enamel with no primer, three coats, put on with a garden hose. I doubt you want it exactly like that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pm 

Thanks for that information, that is very helpful. I figured there must be a standard black for most pre-1920 cars (Ford, Dodge, etc). I have seen one owner use a black rustoleum which is very flat and supposedly true to the original, but frankly it does not look very good. Too utilitarian.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:15 pm 
I agree about the Rustoleum. It gets chalky in sunlight, good for trailers and hotrods. If you need authentic color codes look at Autocolor Library website but it doesn't go back to 1915 and those codes do not translate to modern paints. I do understand what you are saying that some new blacks don't look right. They do not have that deep rich look to them. That is why I recommend going to someone that sells and mixes LOTS of paint and ask them. I know guys that have put just a drip of red or blue or even brown in black paint. It can hardly be seen except in the right light.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:43 pm 

Phillip, When these BUDD bodied open cars and associated parts like fenders, trunk, hood. etc. were, as Doug mentioned, flooded with black enamel then run through an oven. this process was described as 'Baked Enamel' and was shiny. As also mentioned there are FAR too many variation on a simple 'paint job' but would personally recommend a simple two part Enamel. And NO I will not recommend any specific manufacturer or source. Good Luck.