View topic - headlight switch arm broke

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 pm 

My headlight switch arm was snapped off. I am having no luck finding a replacement. The arm appears to be part of the rod that goes through the steering column. I was wondering if anyone had any successful experience with reattaching pot metal parts. It has a very narrow attachment area and about a 1.5 inch length.

Attachments:
headlightSwitchArm.jpg
headlightSwitchArm.jpg [ 514.43 KiB | Viewed 21726 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:19 am 

I am not to this point yet on mine ( I have the same issue with my lever) but I have this guys info saved when I get to that point. Maybe call him and/or send him photos to see if he will quote it and what kind of guarantee he has on his work. You can send pics directly to him for a quote on his Instagram page.

https://potmetal.repair/

here's his Instagram page if you need it:
https://www.instagram.com/potmetalrepair/

Keep us posted if you decide to use him. Finding someone that can do good pot metal repairs would be a good friend to have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:20 pm 

Hey guys.

Yes. Pot Metal Repair is my specialty. In a nut-shell, when I'm reconditioning a piece of pot metal, in order to get a good clean weld, it usually takes 2 to three weld/grind/weld/sand steps before you get a solid non porous repair. Once you can see no more small craters around the weleded area, you're pretty much solid. However, in some cases its impossible to achieve solidarity due to excessive contamination. This doesn't mean that that the piece isn't any good, it simply means that the surface will need further prep(copper/tin solder filler) by your plating shop to smooth it out. Its Not anything uncommon to plating shops. When I finish any repair, they are reshaped back to original condition and ready for the replating process.

I garrantee all my repairs against cracking and or breaking at the weld. However, if the part is found to have issues after plating, I will repair my work, but am not responsible for any finish over my work.

Anyhow guys, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at any time via text or email or my contact form on my site.

Thanks to you all for your support!

James Ruther

"People and Relationships are far more important than money!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:22 am 

To close this out I did contact James Ruther (pot metal repair) to repair my headlight switch arm. In the process of me getting the horn wire out of the tube the rest of the light arm went to pieces. I sent it to James and he worked it a bit and concluded he was not able to make a strong repair that would last. So the good news is that he was able to mold me a new pot metal part. He reassembled the pieces of the old part and made a mold from that, then made me a new piece. I received it Yesterday and it is a great reproduction.

Attachments:
HeadlightSwitchArm2.jpg
HeadlightSwitchArm2.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 20634 times ]
HeadlightSwitchArm.jpg
HeadlightSwitchArm.jpg [ 750.95 KiB | Viewed 20634 times ]
SteeringWheel.jpg
SteeringWheel.jpg [ 810.73 KiB | Viewed 20634 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:55 pm 

That's impressive,,, thanks for sharing the results.

Also, thanks to James for responding here on the DBC board.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:14 pm 

In case it was not clear, James did a great job on my part and working with him was a pleasure. He communicated all through his process so I was fully informed of everything he did. The final result was perfect and the bill was what he said it would be and reasonable. His contact info is in the first note.