View topic - Standard 6 Gauges

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Standard 6 Gauges
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:56 pm 

I'm new to the DB club and have a couple of questions about my '28 Standard 6 Suburban.
My speedometer is black faced and says "Dodge Brothers". My amp gauge and oil pressure gauge are white faced and do not say "Dodge Brothers". The amp gauge is 20-0-20 and the oil pressure gauge is 50 lbs. On both the needles pivot from the top with the numbers on the bottom. Are the two gauges correct or should they be black faced and say "Dodge Brothers"? Or is the speedo incorrect? I'd like to make the car as correct as possible.
Also, was a right side fender mounted spare tire an option? I've got a spare on the left front fender and it makes a good door stop for the wooden door. I'd like to put one on the right side if possible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Darryl.

Post subject: Re: Standard 6 Gauges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:35 pm 
I don't know about the gauges, my thought would be they match for color BUT I really don't know. As to the right side fenderwell I think it would have been available by choice. In scanning a bunch of invoices lately I noticed a few cars that it was requested to one side or the other. I don't think I have ever seen a Standard with a Suburban body. Could you post a picture?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:19 am 

Hi Darryl, welcome to the DBC

hard to say for sure on the gauges without cross referencing parts books specific to your year/model. One way to tell is to double check the parts number (if it's stamped and "IF" it's legible) on the back of each individual gauge.

EDIT:
Sorry guys, was having problems with double posting last night and error after error so had to wait to clean up this post.

As Doug says below, contacting other Standard owners is another way to verify.

With all due respect to Doug (he's helped me a ton and very helpful to all in the DB/GB community), one word of caution is : sometimes gauges may have been changed so what one owner claims as original, may have been replaced without their knowledge in the past. Unless you get a fully documented original Standard that is proven to be non-tampered with I would still seek to double check against any known data in parts books (if you are wanting to be as close to original as possible).

Beautiful Cantrell example and glad to see it's in good hands.
Thanks for sharing

Attachments:
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG [ 893.22 KiB | Viewed 25613 times ]

Last edited by DavidYoung on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 am 

Attachment:
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG [ 108.73 KiB | Viewed 25606 times ]

Here is my '28 Standard Suburban by Cantrell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:48 am 

Here are the gauges. I would think they should all have the same color faces. Can anyone with a '28 Standard tell me what they have.

Attachments:
IMG_2449.JPG
IMG_2449.JPG [ 94.94 KiB | Viewed 25605 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 am 

Filling the gas tank on the '28 Standard Suburban. I guess Cantrell didn't quite think this one through. The Suburban body with three rows of seats is longer than the Standard sedan or touring car. But the gas tank is in the same location on the frame. The gas cap and fuel gauge are on the gas tank. No filler neck going outside the body. So you have to tilt the rear seat forward and remove a wooden cover to get to the gas cap. Adds to the charm of it all I guess.

Attachments:
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG [ 109.5 KiB | Viewed 25604 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am 
Thank you for the picture. As the Standard is not an often seen model of DB I had never seen a Cantrell bodied Standard before. That's quite attractive. I would recommend contacting other owners of Standards about your gauges. Look in the roster for a list but I would start with Tom and Cindy Myers as have owned one for a lot of years. Your spare is mounted where the '27 Cantrells had their spares, making the driver's door almost unusable. I do not know of any factory brochures or pictures in the DBC collection that would help you. BUT you may want to contact AACA library to see what they have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:15 pm 

I have a 32 depot Hack that I think has a Cantrell body but have not found the label yet. Mine is a f10 Frame, front End and drive train. I have the same gas and amp gauge as pictured above with White faces. But the Speedometer has a black face. As I look around the net I have found several pictures of f10 dashes and they too have the white gauges with the black speedometer. So I am going with the notion that the black speedometer is a stock item.
Hope that helps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:17 pm 

Dave do those gauges have a place ion the side for light to get on from the dash light?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 pm 

Hi Paul,

those particular type of gauges were used from 1929-1932 models (sorry for the mini hijack Darryl) and the light would have illuminated from outside as it shined down onto the gauges and not from the back side or inside of the canister, more of a dome light effect.

Thanks to Bruce H for the photo.

Darryl,
another suggestion is to reach out to other owners on the AACA forums. Just type in Standard Six Dodge into the search window and it will bring up a list of discussions.

Here's a link if you need it
https://forums.aaca.org/search/?q=stand ... ix%20dodge

Good luck and keep us posted what you find out as we are all anxious to learn about these great cars and trucks continuously...

Attachments:
30 panel bruce 9.png
30 panel bruce 9.png [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 25588 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 pm 

Darryl, Your gauges are correct. The speedo should be white face as well. Likely the original siezed up and was replaced with the one shown. I believe the side mount design was something relevant to the Woodie body design and not on available on regular Budd bodies. Lovely car that quite rare. I agree that the body designers did not think through the access to the fuel tank filler. On factory 4 cyl Dodge Brothers screen side and panel delivery trucks the fuel tank was relocated under the front seat. I am not familiar with the commercial DB (GB) from '28 as to the access to the rear mount fuel tank. Continue having fun with your car and check with Tom Myers or George at ROMAR for possible reprints of owners manuals. I do not know if same are available for the 'commercial' body styles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:50 am 

Attachment:
1927-dodge-brothers-truck-039.jpg
1927-dodge-brothers-truck-039.jpg [ 73.57 KiB | Viewed 25573 times ]
Darryl, Here is a pic. of the fuel tank arrangement on a '27 Dodge Brothers screen side truck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 am 

Thank you Rodger, Doug, Paul and David for responding.
I milled around the internet last night and found a few pics of gauge clusters like mine. Black speedo with white amp and oil. But I have a bit more research to do before I can make sure I get it correct. The speedo does not work so it's coming out. If it should be white faced I'll correct it. It shows 76,000 miles which seems high as the rest of the car doesn't seem to have that much wear and tear.
Regarding the side-mount spare. The driver door is very usable. The door hinges are similar to house door hinges and the doors swing forward. That's why I'd like to put a right side spare on as it stops the door from going way forward. And the fenders are not "welled".
It's a nice running and driving car. It has a few issues but all minor stuff. My wife and I love the thing. I bought it this last September. It was advertised in Hemmings. I bought it from a Chevrolet dealer. Some guy traded it in!
I'm bound for sea today so I won't be able to respond for a couple of weeks. (I'm an offshore f/v Captain).

Attachments:
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 25569 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 am 

Thanks Dave. My gauges do not have the light opening on the side. and I do not have any holes or mount points on the face if the dash for the dash lights. I also have not found any reference to the 32 f10 for help. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:06 pm 

PaulHossfeld wrote:
Thanks Dave. My gauges do not have the light opening on the side. and I do not have any holes or mount points on the face if the dash for the dash lights. I also have not found any reference to the 32 f10 for help. Any thoughts?

Certain models had the lamps and some other models didn't (I should have clarified that).

I'll email you some factory literature for different trucks to show the differences so we don't hijack this thread of Darryl's any more than we need to. Bottom line is, your F10 didn't have any lights on the dash so rest assured your truck is correct. My 3/4 ton did have them originally so my statement above about the time frame the dash lamps were used was not meant for all models ( again, I should have clarified that my apologies...).