View topic - Serial Number Help

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Serial Number Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:10 pm 

I am working on restoring my Grandfathers Dodge Brothers Touring Car. I have always been told that it was a 1924 Dodge. However I am wanting to make sure. The Engine has been Stamped A 255-892 and on the Frame I can find the number 183-217 both on top of the frame rail and directly below it on the side of the frame rail possibly with a A in front of it. And the rear end has a 184 728 stamped on it. What does all of this mean? When they left the factory did all numbers match? I know that it was common back in the day to swap motors, but I never heard my Grandfather talk about swapping engines. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam Akers

Post subject: Re: Serial Number Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:54 pm 
A-183000 would be Sept. of 1924 which is a '25 model year. This would over to the left of here in the DB Production Dates list. Engine looks correct as it is app. 50,000 more then engine. Numbers never actually matched. Does it have a cowl vent in front of the windshield? How about is it 6 volt?

Post subject: Re: Serial Number Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:22 am 

There is no cowl vent, and it is 12v. Actually in the 1940s my grandfather converted it to run off of a magneto off of a tractor because it needed a new 12v battery and he couldn't afford one.