View topic - Just bought my First DB: 1932 4dr sedan. Many questions!!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:52 am 

The car is supposed to be original with 33K miles. I've found some items that have been replaced to make it drivable.
Questions:
1. What is the '32 Ram Hood ornament supposed to look like? Mine is missing and I see a few different styles on Ebay, but I don't know which is the real 1932 ornament.
2. I believe it should be kept original, but how original?
3. Do I buff the paint?
4. Can I ad a fuel filter and not get docked points at a show?
5. Where do I find parts, manuals, model history, etc?
6. I'd like to find some bumpers with better chrome, are there any for sale?
7. Should I clean and polish the bright work?
8. Is it correct to call this car a DL Six?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the following weeks!
Thanks in advance!
Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 am 

I tried to webhost some pictures, but that did not work. How do you post pics on this forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:02 am 
Click on Webmaster send them to me I'll post them

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm 
Welcome to the rare 32 club! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.
1. The ram mascot to look for has a wide base (later ones are longer) and has a separate head piece (look for a vertical seam under the horns). You'll see ones with a one-piece body/head and horns that don't stick out. Those are aftermarket replacements.
2. How original you keep it is up to you. Mine is almost all original and I've opted to keep it that way. Being one of the rarest of years you'll find it very hard to find some replacement parts. Thus, if you're wanting to get it going so you can enjoy driving it you may have to temporarily substitute some routine parts. Rebuilding things like generators, carbs, etc. is not a problem. If you're trying to get it into pristine condition for judging, well, stick with the original sediment bowl filter. I had trouble with vapor lock and am running an electric fuel pump (with built-in filter) tucked up next to the gas tank, but by-passed the original fuel pump/sediment bowl left in place for appearances. I can always go back if I want to.
3. Again, it depends on your aim. Without pics we can't see the condition of your paint, but, if this will be driver, probably the best thing to do is to give the paint an initial cleaning with a gentle polish, see what you've got, then a good coat of wax for protection. A nice patina is a badge of honor for an original car!
4. See #2.
5. Manuals show up from time to time on eBay. Parts...ahhh, not so much...but keep your eyes peeled and be prepared for some competition!
6. I've seen a couple of bumpers on eBay in the last few years...all pretty rough chrome. I'm betting re-chroming would be the way to go if they aren't damaged.
7. Sure, try a gentle chrome polish on an out-of-the-way part to see what's hiding. I've got a bunch of parts that may eventually get re-chromed. The previous owner used a little silver paint for touch up and it'll do for now. In the meantime the bright stuff get waxed for protection.
8. DL 6 is correct if she's got 6 cylinders. Actual DL is all you need, since the DK has 8 cylinders.

Where are you located? We want pics!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:53 am 
Hi and welcome aboard.
I have a 33 D.P.Salon Brougham with 47k on it. (also rare)
Regards the ram mascot if you search eBay for 33dodge you will find what is correct for your car. I'm sure it will still be there as it has been for at least 2 and maybe as long as 4 years at prices from $2400 to $3600. (i wonder why it han't sold!!)
I bought the last 3 of Ellis Baron's reproductions for my spare and for freinds here in Australia after he died.
These are the best that were available and I bet the one on eBay is one.
Yes they are in one piece but the horns do stick out and they show the join mark where the head detached on the original.
Mine even shows the original DPCD and #383078.
Good luck with your search.
Beetles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 am 
reduce your photos to 312x220 then they will post on the Message Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:43 pm 

Here are two pictures.

Attachments:
3resize2.jpg
3resize2.jpg [ 68.81 KiB | Viewed 40206 times ]
2resize2.jpg
2resize2.jpg [ 81.71 KiB | Viewed 40206 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Nice original DL! Looks like everything is there. How does it run? As far as the bumpers go, they look complete and straight (can't see the back of course). You won't find any in better condition for any amount you'd want to pay...if you could even find them. Rechroming is the way to go. If you can live with some pitting, that radiator shell might clean up better than you'd think with some chrome polish and a lot of elbow grease. Try some polish on the paint first, but a light compounding might be needed. Looks like the paint is pretty thin in places...like the tops of the fenders.

In the end your decision is whether you want to have a driver with the mechanical systems in good shape while the interior and body are just cleaned up and protected, or if you want to get into the time and cost of a more extensive restoration. Me? I've opted for the former...and I get a ton of complements for keeping it all original.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:17 am 

My plan is to keep it original. The only question is how much cleaning and polishing I do. What I really want is to make it complete. I have a ram mascot, but no cap to go under it. I'm missing both rear bumper "over riders" (like the one in the middle of the front bumper). I'm also missing one of the rope pulls and chrome piece next to the rear door pillar, as well as the rope and the two chrome pieces on the back of the front seat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am 
Here's the mascot you seek: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-An ... 1c28c62447

The critical thing to look for is that the tips of the ram's horns are complete as this one appears to be. The finish isn't great and it would need to be rechromed...adding to the cost. I'd say this one is already overpriced by at least $150. Bargains come along once in a great while, so patience and constant vigil is in order. (I snagged a nice one for $150 about two years ago). If you're looking to have the car as a driver, an option would be to buy one in decent surface condition but with slightly broken horn tips. That's what I've done since it's quite likely that stones kicked up while driving will eventually hit those horns. I keep my best one for shows only.

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 pm 

I have the "long base" ram mascot in decent shape. I just don't have the cap that attaches to it. I've seen that other one on Ebay, and I too felt it was overpriced for needing re-chromed.
I'm in Kansas.

Attachments:
17resize2.jpg
17resize2.jpg [ 46.49 KiB | Viewed 40179 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 pm 
You might be able to braise on the connecting parts from another cap. I've seen that done before. It wouldn't even have to be from another ram mascot...so long as it fits. A gas cap that fits your tank will fit the radiator! I bought a sheet of some modern material from which I cut a new gasket. I've got lots left over if you need some.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm 

Nice car, Kyle!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:57 pm 

Thank you. I just dropped the gas tank to clean it. I pulled out the sending unit and it is rusted solid. I've got is soaking in some Kroil. Does anyone know of a replacement sending unit on the market?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 pm 
A solution of molassas and water will clean your tank like new. Find an ag store that makes their own horse feed. Buy enough molassas to mix a three part water to one part molassas mixture that will completely fill your tank. Plug the drain fitting and fill with the mixture. It makes a fairly weak acid and will gas, do it outdoors, but cover it. DON'T seal completely tight as it will expand and swell the tank. Might take about a week, but it will eat all the rust out. When you think it's clean wash the tank thoroughly. I scrub parts with a brush and something like Spray Nine or Simple Green, but you can't do that inside the tank. Use lots of water. This stuff really stinks, doesn't wash off your hands real good. You probably want to wear latex gloves. It might free up your gauge too. It sounds like junk the way you describe it, so it can't hurt.